By Hayley Lewallen – No stranger to setting new records Topsail Whiz officially became the National Reining Horse Association’s (NRHA) first Ten Million Dollar Sire. The late Topsail Whiz soared to uncharted territory when he became NRHA’s first Six Million Dollar Sire in 2009 and continued to surpass others by achieving the first Seven Million Dollar Sire status in 2010, Eight Million Dollar Sire status in 2011, and Nine Million Dollar Sire status in 2012.
The 1987 stallion is by Topsail Cody, an NRHA Million Dollar Sire, and out of Jeanie Whiz Bar (by Cee Red). His sire, Topsail Cody, was a 1996 Hall of Fame Inductee, and in 2003 Topsail Whiz also was inducted to the NRHA Hall of Fame. Topsail Whiz, who was owned by Bob Loomis Quarter Horses, sired four NRHA Million Dollar Stallions (Conquistador Whiz, West Coast Whiz, Whizard Jac, and Whiz N Tag Chex).
His top earning progeny include:
- The Great Whiz (Topsail Whiz x Pines BH by Great Pine): $256,400 NRHA LTE, owned by Lance Griffin; 2003 Canadian Reining Breeders Classic Futurity Open Champion and NRHA Futurity Open Champion, 2004 National Reining Breeders Classic (NRBC) Open Reserve Champion and NRHA Derby Open finalist, 2005 NRHA Derby Open finalist, 2006 NRBC Open finalist
- Easy Otie Whiz (Topsail Whiz x Miss Poco Easy by My Lucero): $233,600 NRHA LTE, owned by Bobbie Cook/Outwest Stallion Station, LLC; 2002 NRHA Futurity Open finalist, 2003 NRBC Open finalist and NRHA Derby Open finalist, 2004 NRHA Derby Non Pro finalist and Intermediate Non Pro Champion, 2005 NRBC Open finalist and Intermediate Open Champion, 2006 FEI World Equestrian Games Team USA Gold Medalist
- Whizkey N Diamonds (Topsail Whiz x Princess In Diamonds by Shining Spark): $216,300 NRHA LTE, owned by Rhodes River Ranch/CDR Farms; 2009 High Roller Reining Classic Futurity Level (L) 4 Open Champion, All American Quarter Horse Congress Futurity L4 Open Reserve Champion, and NRHA Futurity L4 Open finalist, 2011 NRBC L4 Open finalist, NRHA Derby L4 Open Reserve Champion and NRHA Futurity Show $100,000-added World Champion Shootout Reserve Champion, 2012 AQHA Senior Reining World Champion
- Smoking Whiz (Topsail Whiz x Glendas A Smokingun by Gunner): $197,100 NRHA LTE, owned by Silver Spurs Equine; 2010 High Roller Reining Classic Futurity L4, L3, L2 Open Champion and NRHA Futurity L4, L3 and, L2 Open finalist, 2012 NRBC L4 Open finalist, NRHA Derby L4 Open finalist, 2013 NRBC L4 finalist and NRHA Futurity Show $75,000-added World Champion Shootout Reserve Co-Champion
- Walla Walla Whiz (Topsail Whiz x Shiney Walla Wanda by Shining Spark): $187,800 NRHA LTE, owned by Arcese Quarter Horses USA; 2006 All American Quarter Horse Congress Futurity Open finalist and NRHA Futurity Open finalist, 2007 NRBC Open finalist and NRHA Derby Open Champion, 2008 NRBC finalist
Photo by John Brasseaux