Gunner – Newest NRHA Four Million Dollar Sire
By Christina Brezack – The National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) has a new addition to the elite group of Four Million Dollar Sires: Gunner. The Hall of Fame inductee, Gunner (AQHA Colonels Smoking Gun, APHA Colonels Smokingun) has soared from NRHA Three to Four Million Dollar Sire status in less than a year due to the overwhelming success of his progeny. As of September 12, 2012, Gunner’s official offspring NRHA Lifetime Earnings are $4,009,637.
Gunner, bred by Eric Storey, Henagar, Ala., is the top NRHA earning offspring of Colonelfourfreckle (Colonel Freckels x Miss Solano). The 1993 stallion is out of Katie Gun who has produced NRHA earners of more than $510,000. McQuay Stables, Inc. (NRHA Two Million Dollar Rider and One Million Dollar Owner Tim McQuay and wife Colleen) currently owns and stands the stallion in Tioga, Tex. Gunner earned nearly $175,000 in his career and was inducted into the NRHA Hall of Fame in 2003 in recognition of his contributions to the sport of Reining. His accolades include:
- 1996 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Reserve Champion ridden by Clint Haverty
- 1997 NRHA Derby Level 4 Non Pro finalist ridden by Kim Sloan
- 1998 NRBC Level 4 Open Reserve Champion ridden by Clint Haverty
- 1998 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open finalist ridden by Clint Haverty
- 2001 USET Festival Of Champions National Reining Champion ridden by Bryant Pace
In 2002, Gunner was immortalized as a Breyer Horse for the USET Special Edition model.
“We are lucky to have Gunner as part of our family at McQuay Stables and naturally are thrilled at his rapid growth in earnings. Our sincere thanks to all the owners and trainers that support him,” said Tim and Colleen McQuay after learning of the achievement.
Gunner’s top earning progeny include:
- Tinker With Guns (Gunner x Tinker Nic by Reminic): $336,200 NRHA LTE, bred and currently owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Rancho Oso Rio, LLC. Currently, sixth on NRHA Top 10 Horses by Lifetime Earnings. Awards include: 2009 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open finalist, 2011 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open Champion and NRBC Level 4 Open finalist, 2012 NRHA Derby and NRBC Level 4 Open Reserve Champion.
- Gunners Special Nite (Gunner x Mifs Doll by Mifilena): $219,700 NRHA LTE, bred by Kim and Debra Sloan and currently owned by Turnabout Farm, Inc. The first reining horse to be honored with the USEF Horse of the Year award. Other awards include: 2007 NRHA Futurity Level 3 Open Champion and Level 4 Open Reserve Champion, 2008 & 2009 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open finalist, 2009 & 2010 NRBC Level 4 Open finalist, 2010 Alltech® FEI World Equestrian Games™ individual and team Gold Medalist.
- Gunnatrashya (Gunner x Natrasha by NRHA Hall of Famer Trashadeous): $207,400 NRHA LTE, bred by Katarina Dorminy and currently owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Arcese Quarter Horses U.S.A. Awards include: 2009 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Champion and All American Quarter Horse Congress Futurity Level 4 Open Champion, 2010 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open Champion.
- The Great Guntini (Gunner x Miss Wicked Filena by NRHA Hall of Famer Great Pine): $130,600 NRHA LTE, bred by MMCO, Corp. and currently owned by Greenway Stables. Awards include: 2006 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open third place, 2007 NRHA Derby and NRBC Level 4 Open finalist.
- Always Gotyer Gunsup (Gunner x Always A Dunit by NRHA Six Million Dollar Sire Hollywood Dun It): $127,800 NRHA LTE, bred by Trinity Compress Real Estate Co and currently owned by McQuay Stables, Inc. Awards include: 2010 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open finalist, 2011 NRBC Level 4 Non Pro third place, 2012 NRBC Level 4 Non Pro Champion and NRHA Derby Level 4 Non Pro Reserve Champion.
- Snow Gun (Gunner x Natrasha by Trashadeous): $122,100 NRHA LTE, bred by Katarina Dorminy and currently owned by Andre De Bellefeuille. Awards include: 2002 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open division third place, 2003 NRBC Derby Level 4 Open division finalist, 2006 FEI World Equestrian Games Team Silver Medalist.
Photo by Tristan Dark.