By Christina Brezack – The National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Professional and Hall of Fame Inductee Tim McQuay surpassed the Three Million Dollar Rider mark at this year’s NRHA Futurity and Adequan® North American Affiliate Championship show. Gunners Tinseltown (owned by David Silva, Sr.) and McQuay were the NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Reserve Champions and Prime Time Open Champions earning over $145,000 in the span of 10 days. Chex From Tinseltown (owned by David Silva, Sr.) and Nuthin But Hollywood (owned by David Silva, Sr.) placed in the top ten in the NRHA Futurity Prime Time Open division and helped push McQuay’s official NRHA Lifetime Earnings over $3,000,000.
The Tioga, Tex. native was the second NRHA Million Dollar Rider in 1997 and the first NRHA Two Million Dollar Rider in 2005. The six-time NRHA Open Reserve World Champion and the 2000 NRHA Open World Champion on ARC Sparkle Surprise (owned by Podere Bersellini and McQuay Stables) has had much success in his reining career. While attending the 2006 Alltech® FEI World Equestrian Games in Aachen, Germany, McQuay riding Mister Nicadual (owned by Jerry Kimmel), was a part of the Gold Medal Team U.S.A while also taking home the Individual Silver Medal after a run off for the Gold. At the 2010 Alltech® FEI World Equestrian Games in Lexington, Ky., McQuay was once again part of the Gold Medal Team U.S.A riding Hollywoodstinseltown (owned by David Silva, Sr.). McQuay is not only a top money-earning rider, but also an NRHA Million Dollar Owner as of 2007.
Some of his other accomplishments include:
- 1986 NRHA Futurity Open Reserve Champion and 1987 NRHA Derby Open Champion riding NRHA Six Million Dollar Sire and Hall of Fame Inductee Hollywood Dun It (owned by Cliff Steif)
- 1988 NRHA Futurity Open Champion riding Mr Melody Jac (owned by Otto Schubert, Sr.)
- 1994 NRHA Derby Open Champion riding NRHA Three Million Dollar Sire and NRHA Hall of Fame Inductee Shining Spark (owned by Carol Rose)
- 2003 NRHA Derby Open Champion riding RR Star (owned by Lundin Farm)
- 2008 NRHA Futurity Open Champion riding Shining N Sassy (owned by Carol Rose)
- Six-time NRHA Futurity Prime Time Open Champion
- Five-time NRHA Open Derby Reserve Champion
- Three-time NRHA Open Futurity Reserve Champion
Tim McQuay joins Shawn Flarida (2008) and Andrea Fappani (2012) in accomplishing this historic milestone.
Incorporated in 1966, the National Reining Horse Association is the standard-setting body for the sport of Reining. NRHA, with their International Headquarters in Oklahoma City, is responsible for promoting the sport of Reining and working to ensure the highest standards of competition. To learn more about the NRHA, its programs and family of corporate partners, visit nrha.com.
Photo Credit: Dawn Baxstrom
Photo Credit of Gunners Tinseltown at 2012 NRHA Futurity: Waltenberry