By Christa Morris – The National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Futurity & Adequan® North American Affiliate Championship Show moved into the first go-round, second section of the nearly $500,000 added NRHA Open Futurity. The event is the most elite Reining in the world with approximately 3,000 entries competing for more than $2 million in cash and prizes at Oklahoma State Fair Park in Oklahoma City.
Three matching scores of 221.5 moved to the top of the leader board in the second section of the first go-round of the NRHA Futurity Open:
- Tinseltown Fly Guy (Hollywoodstinseltown x Fly Flashy Jac) with NRHA Professional Shawn Flarida for owner Wagner & Vandorp. Tinseltown Fly Guy was a level 4 open division reserve co-champion at the 2013 Heritage Reining Futurity with Ruben Vandorp.
- Electric Express (Jacs Electric Spark x Hot Coded Candy) with NRHA Professional Jared Leclair for owner Terry Ranch. Electric Express is a 2011 NRHA / Markel Insurance Breeders Showcase Sale graduate.
- Electric Genes (Jacs Electric Spark x Taris Designer Genes) with NRHA Professional Andrea Fappani for owner Rancho Oso Rio, LLC. Electric Genes and Fappani were level 4 open division reserve co-champions at the Reining By The Bay Futurity. The mare’s dam is the 2006 NRHA Futurity Open Champion and earner of more than $250,000.
Electric Express, a full-brother to Electric Code, and Leclair also lead the level 3 and level 2 open divisions. The stallion had earned nearly $40,000 in NRHA competition thus far in his career.
The day ended with a tie for the second place position in the level 3 open division with two scores of 219.5:
- Chex From A Star (Gunner x Chex From Hollywood) with Brad Giesbrecht for owner David Silva, Sr.
- Memorable Revolution (Einsteins Revolution x Coronas Affair) with NRHA Professional Brian Bell for owner Wagner & Vandorp
The ties for second place continued in the level 2 open division with two entries scoring a 217:
- CD Star Commander (Commanders Nic x Star CD) with NRHA Professional Martin Larcombe for owner XCS Ranch, LLC
- Wallys Chic (Walla Walla Whiz x Smokes Chicalito) with Kim Obenhaus for owner MG Reiners
In the level 1 open division, Sugar Pop Step Ahead (APHA)(Wimpys Little Step x Sugar Pop Gun) earned a 215.5 to move into the second place position. Eduardo Christians rode for owner Thiago Boechat.
Competition continues Saturday, November 30 with the third section of the first go-round. The second go-round begins on Monday, December 2. Cinch Non Pro Futurity entries take to the arena on Monday as well.
MORE ABOUT THE SHOW
It’s the most elite reining event in the world with 3,000 entries competing for more than $2 million in cash and prizes. Approximately 1,400 horses and more than 120,000 visitors come from nearly 20 countries to compete and watch the excitement unfold. During its 10-day run, the show contributes more than $67 million to the overall Oklahoma City economy.
NRHA Open World Championship Shootout
Thurs., Dec. 5 at 6:30 p.m. – Coliseum
Top open reining riders and horses will compete for a shot at the title of NRHA Open World Champion.
NRHA Futurity – Cinch NRHA Non Pro Finals
Fri., Dec. 6 – Coliseum
9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
Come watch the world’s best non pro riders compete for more than $600,000 in cash and prizes.
RHSF “A Slide To Remember”
To benefit the Oklahoma City National Memorial Foundation, presented by Protect The Harvest & Lucas Oil
Fri., Dec. 6 at 6 p.m. (Opening Ceremonies at 5:30 p.m.)
The Slide is a team competition with teams representing local police officers and local firefighters. The police and fire teams also include one celebrity guest, one Freestyle reiner, one cross-over rider from another equestrian discipline and a representative of the NRHA Hall of Fame. Get more details on the News page of the NRHA Futurity website.
After Party – Cafe
Sponsored by Vincent & Lynn Maffucci
Featuring Anderson Bean endorsee Kristy Lee Cook
Drinks, food and auction items
Clinton Anderson Colt Starting Demo
Sat., Dec. 7 at 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. – Arena 6
Clinton Anderson, of Downunder Horsemanship, is a clinician, horse trainer and competitor. The Downunder Horsemanship Method of horse training is based on mutual respect and understanding and gives horse owners the knowledge needed to become skilled horsemen and train their horses to be consistent and willing partners. Get more details on the News page.
NRHA Futurity – Open Finals
Sat., Dec. 7 – Coliseum
1 and 5 p.m.
Come watch the world’s best NRHA Professionals compete for more than $1.5 million in cash and prizes. Be there to watch the thrilling action and see who takes home a check of $165,000 and the title of NRHA Open Futurity Champion!
The NRHA would like to thank the following corporate partners for their support of the NRHA Futurity & Adequan North American Affiliate Championship Show: Adequan, Anderson Bean Boot Company, Arenus, Bob’s Custom Saddles, Boehringer Ingelheim, Cardinal Reining Horses, Center Back Pads, Classic Equine, Darling 888 Ranch, Downunder Horsemanship, Horse&Rider, John Deere, Kiser Arena Specialists, Kyle Tack, Markel Insurance Company, Merial, Miller International – Cinch / Cruel Girl, Montana Silversmiths, Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau, Pard’s Western Shop, Platinum Performance, Purina, Quarter Horse News, Rios of Mercedes, Silver Spurs Equine, SmartPak, Schmersal Reining Horses, Twister Trailer, World Development Group International and Xtra Quarter Horses.
In addition, NRHA thanks NRHA Futurity & Adequan North American Affiliate Championship Show Event Sponsors:
- Platinum Futurity Sponsors: KO Trading, Lucas Oil, Protect the Harvest, RAM, Sandbur Productions LLC, Santa Hill Ranch and Scott Cleaners
- Gold Futurity Sponsors: Equine Oasis, Icehole High Performance Coolers and Shorty’s Caboy Hattery
- Silver Futurity Sponsors: Avila’s Pro Shop, E-Z Go, Forewheeler Golf Cars and Heat-A-Zone