Freestyle, NRHA Hall of Fame and Cross-Over Riders will round out the field.
By Christa Morris – Since 2007, the Reining Horse Sports Foundation (RHSF) has produced a unique, entertaining reining horse event to benefit a local Oklahoma charity. The 2013 event will benefit the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum and will be held in Oklahoma City during the National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Futurity & Adequan® North American Affiliate Championship Show on Friday, December 6 at 6 p.m. The RHSF “A Slide to Remember” includes celebrity guests, representatives of the NRHA Hall of Fame, cross-over riders from other equestrian disciplines, Freestyle reiners, as well as Oklahoma City area firefighters and police officers.
Check out the riders that are scheduled to attend:
- Celebrities: Lyle Lovett, Michael Schumacher, and new additions Ted Levine and David Yurman
- NRHA Hall of Fame Representatives: Clint Haverty, Bob Loomis, Dick Pieper and Carol Rose aboard an offspring of Shining Spark
- Cross-Over Riders: Russell Dilday, Nicole Shahinian-Simpson, Johnny Rotz and Guy Thomas
- Freestyle Reiners: Shane Brown, Pete Kyle, Rocky Dare, and Drake Johnson
- Local fire fighters and police officers: Cody Ashmore, Chief Keith Bryant, Rebecca McCarley and Bill Weaver
- Cooperating NRHA members include Mack Weaver, Josh Visser, Jody Brainard, Mike Jeffcoat, Tim McQuay, John Rosi, Todd Crawford and Ken Eppers
The Slide is a team competition with teams representing local police officers and local firefighters. The police and fire teams also include one celebrity guest, one Freestyle reiner, one cross-over rider from another equestrian discipline and a representative of the NRHA Hall of Fame. The riders are awarded points based on their performance. All scores are combined to determine the winner and award the coveted championship. Spectators are encouraged to come and cheer on their favorites in this friendly “firefighters vs. police officers” competition.
- Lyle Lovett – Lovett has earned four Grammy Awards including Best Country Album and Best Male Country Vocal Performance. He recorded his own brand of music, a unique mix of blues, R&B, jazz, gospel and country, since 1980 with more than a dozen albums to date. His highest entry, the number 10 chart hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country song chart, “Cowboy Man.” But Lovett’s talents don’t end there. This accomplished entertainer is also a well-respected songwriter and has a lengthy list of acting credits.
- Michael Schumacher – Schumacher, a seven-time Formula One Racing World Champion, is joining us from Switzerland. He tops many of Formula One’s driver records: most championships, race victories, fastest laps, pole positions, points scored, most races won in a single season, earliest world champion, podium places and leading laps. According to the official Formula One website he is “statistically the greatest driver the sport has ever seen.”
- Read this news article about newly announced participant David Yurman.
- More information will be coming soon on Ted Levine who also recently agreed to compete!
NRHA Hall of Fame Representatives
- Clint Haverty – In addition to being an NRHA Hall of Fame inductee, Clint is an NRHA Judge, NRHA Professional, clinician and leather craftsman with over $500,000 in NRHA Lifetime Earnings. Clint has specialized in training reining horses since the mid-80s and rode into the spotlight after training and riding Gunner (Colonels Smoking Gun) to the 1996 NRHA Futurity Open Reserve Championship.
- Bob Loomis – With six championships, Bob has more NRHA Open Futurity victories than any other rider in the industry. Bob is the only breeder to have trained, shown and stood three generations of NRHA Million Dollar Sires: NRHA Hall of Fame inductee Topsail Cody, NRHA Hall of Fame inductee Topsail Whiz and West Coast Whiz. Bob is in the NRHA Hall of Fame, and a past president of NRHA.
- Dick Pieper – Dick is an NRHA Futurity Champion, a past president of NRHA, member of the NRHA Hall of Fame, American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) Professional Horseman and multiple AQHA World Champion. He has held judges cards for the NRHA, AQHA, National Cutting Horse Association and the National Reined Cow Horse Association. Pieper Ranch is currently home to legendary cutting horse performer and sire Playgun.
- Carol Rose – Carol will represent her legendary stallion Shining Spark aboard one of his offspring. Shining Spark is an NRHA Hall of Fame inductee and Four Million Dollar Sire. Before his career as a sire, he made his mark in the arena earning over $55,000 with riders like Bob Loomis and Tim McQuay. Some of his greatest achievements include being a two-time Lazy E Classic Open Reserve Champion and the 1994 NRHA Derby Open Champion.
- Russell Dilday – Russell made history just a few short years ago becoming the only rider to win the World’s Greatest Horseman title three times. To make the accomplishment even more sweet, he was aboard the only horse in history to do the same, Topsails Rien Maker. Russell is co-owner of the impressive stallion and the highest money earner in reined cow horse history.
- Johnny Rotz – Johnny has ridden the winners of some of the most important Thoroughbred races in the U.S. including the Belmont Stakes (on High Echelon) and Preakness Stakes (on Greek Money). A winner of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, Johnny demonstrated high standard of conduct, on and off the racetrack, and was recognized by his peers for it. Afterhis riding career, he served as a racing steward in Delaware, Louisiana, New York and Ohio.
- Guy Thomas – Guy competed for New Zealand in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece and the 2010 World Equestrian Games in Lexington, Ky. He also competed in the 2008 Rolex FEI World Cup™ Jumping Finals in Gothenburg, Sweden. In 2010, Guy and his mount Peterbilt became the first rider/horse combination to win a series of three Grand Prix events. Since then, they’ve won four more Grand Prix events with three being won this year.
- Nicole Shahinian-Simpson – More information coming soon on this recent addition to the line up.
- Shane Brown – Shane is an NRHA Professional from Elbert, Colo. Brown’s routines are recognized for being timeless and moving. His career wins prove he’s a force to be reckoned with in the Freestyle Reining.
- Rocky Dare – Rocky has earned more than one million dollars in NRHA competition during a professional career that has spanned nearly three decades and includes an NRHA Hall of Fame induction. His performance is highly anticipated with many of his fans wondering what surprise he might have in store.
- Pete Kyle – Making an encore presentation for the crowd’s entertainment will be NRHA Professional Pete Kyle from Whitesboro, Texas. He is known for showing off his great sense of humor in his routines. Last year, his performance for Team Fire ride was a major hit with the crowd.
- Drake Johnson – Drake will trade in his NRHA Judge’s scorecard to join in the cause as Freestyle Reiner. The Wray, Colorado resident won the 2006 North American Freestyle Reining Open Reserve Championship in Oklahoma City, so he’ll put pressure on his peers to put on a top-knotch performance.
(Top: Brown, Bottom: Dare)
The RHSF “A Slide to Remember” is Friday, December 6 at 6 p.m. at the Oklahoma State Fair Park’s Jim Norick Arena (Coliseum). General admission is $11 and box seats are $21. Members of the military receive buy-one, get-one-free admission with valid Military ID, and children age 10 and under get in free. Tickets are available at www.okstatefair.com.
Reining Horse Sports Foundation
The Reining Horse Sports Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to developing and enhancing the sport of Reining worldwide. The RHSF accomplishes this through their five core programs: NRHA Hall of Fame, Crisis Fund, Research, Development & Education, Youth Programs and International Development. For further information about the Foundation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (405) 946-7400, ext. 122, or visit the RHSF website at rhsf.com.
Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum
The Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum is a state-of-the-art interactive learning museum that tells the story of those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever. By the use of more than a dozen computers and two hours of video, and more than 300 artifacts the Memorial Museum tells the story of one of the largest terrorist attacks on American soil. Since opening, the Outdoor Symbolic Memorial has hosted more than 4.4 million visitors and the Memorial Museum has had more than two million visitors. Visit the museum online at oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org.
NRHA Futurity & Adequan® North American Affiliate Championship Show Supporters (as of Sept. 12, 2013):
The NRHA would like to thank the following corporate partners for their support of the NRHA Futurity & Adequan North American Affiliate Championship Show: Adequan, Anderson Bean Boot Company, Arenus, Bob’s Custom Saddles, Boehringer Ingelheim, Center Back Pads, Classic Equine, Darling 888 Ranch, Downunder Horsemanship, Horse&Rider, John Deere, Kiser Arena Specialists, Kyle Tack, Markel Insurance Company, Merial, Miller International – Cinch / Cruel Girl, Montana Silversmiths, Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau, Pard’s Western Shop, Platinum Performance, Purina, Quarter Horse News, Rios of Mercedes, Silver Spurs Equine, SmartPak, Schmersal Reining Horses, Twister Trailer and World Development Group International.
In addition, NRHA thanks NRHA Futurity & Adequan North American Affiliate Championship Show Event Sponsors
- Platinum Futurity Sponsors: KO Trading, RAM, Sandbur Productions LLC and Scott Cleaners
- Gold Futurity Sponsors: Shorty’s Caboy Hattery and Soft Ride
- Silver Futurity Sponsors: Avila’s Pro Shop, E-Z Go, Forewheeler Golf Cars and Heat-A-Zone
Photo credits: Lovett, Loomis, Brown and Dare by Waltenberry, Schumacher courtesy of michael-schumacher.de, Haverty by Darrell Dodds, Pieper courtesy of pieperranch.com, Rose by Cappy Jackson, Thomas courtesy of Guy Thomas.